Today sharing one more pure vegetarian recipe Taro Root Curry. In Bengali it is called Gathi Kochu r Dalna. It is a root vegetable . Basically it is good to taste with shrimp/prawn. But today's recipe is for pure vegetarian. Some people also like to cook using onion and ginger also. But I prefer without onion-ginger. Because I feel each vegetable has its own flavor, so if you cook it using few spices , it tastes better than using spices. My mother is my best chef I have seen in my life. Though it is true for every daughter also. Still I learned so many special tips from her, which made me perfect as a cook. She used to do this curry without onion ginger and that is why I follow her too. Thanks Maa !
Before cook this taro root vegetables you should follow some tricks for it. Like as it consists many dirt so you should clean first and then peel it off. After this you have to rinse it one more time in boiling water too. Then marinate with lemon juice for 10 mins to avoid itchy reaction.
As per nutritional benefits taro root contains dietary fiber and carbohydrates. It is full of vitamin A , C, E, B6 and Folate as well as magnesium , iron , zinc , phosphorous and potassium .
8 pcs Taro Root (slice into halves)
1 Medium Potato (cut into cubes)
1 Medium Tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 cup green peas (blanched in warm water)
2-3 Green Chili slited
1/2 tsp Onion Seeds/Kalo jeera
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
2/4 Red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2/3 cups mustard oil
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Garam masala powder(cinnamon stick+green cardamom)
How to Cook :
- Heat oil in a pan , fry taro root and potatoes with little salt and turmeric powder one by one and keep aside.
- Add onion seeds in the rest of the oil , add green chili and chopped tomato.
- Saute for a while.
- Add salt and soaked spices(cumin powder,red chili powder,turmeric powder) to the pan.
- When oil comes out add 2 cups water , simmer the gas stove.
- Add fried taro root, green peas and potato cubes , let it bring into boil.
- Adjust salt .
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and turn off the stove.
- Serve with plain rice or chapathi/roti.